View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default Experience with eBay buyer scams?

Posted By: Frank

Hello,
Good luck with the problem buyer. There are many of them. My lawyer has stated delivery confirmation should be sufficient but I tend to make the buyer sign something.

I have had some issues with a few buyers. Mostly just deadbeat bidders but there are some real problem bidders out there. My suggestions are communicate only through ebay, send a copy to yourself as well for your documentation. Your obligation is to complete the sale. You are required to ship it. If you have data confirming it your obligation is done. If they are not satisfied once they get the item you can chose to offer a refund or not. Many sellers offer full refunds with shipping. You are not under any obligation to provide any additional materials or money to the buyer if they keep the item. If they received the card (you have proof of this) and don't return it they have completed the ebay contract and have no grounds to complain. Some buyers at this point carry out feedback extortion. This is when you try to get money off or get additional items. This is against ebay rules and is grounds for dismissal for ebay but I find ebay slow to remove anyone, buyer or seller.

You have feedback as a tool to document your issues, use it carefully though. I currently have my lawyer reviewing feedback that is not true. This can result in legal action. So be careful with your word choices and if you have proof you should be set.

I find Ebay very slow to deal with issues and honestly not really interested. It seems they like the fees more. I have had several buyers who had several ids that had issues with all kinds of merchandise. They fall into a pattern because ebay does not do anything with it.

Also ebay and paypal is more protective of buyers than sellers. Try filing a dispute on paypal. You can't, the buyer has to initiate the process.

Good luck, just document everything carefully and completely. I feel you are safe as you have info documenting you upheld your end of the contract. Don't expect the buyer to be rational and reasonable as there are just some people you can't please.

Frank