View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Default Insurance Appraisals

Posted By: davidcycleback

This thread says someone on this board should get an appraiser's license so he can appraise others' collections for insurance purposes. Perhaps someone at one of those price guide sites. Rich Klein, with a resume that would include former Beckett Price Guide Editor, would be a natural. I know to get a license you have to have a certain amount of working experience in your field, ala working at a jewelry store to be a diamond appraiser. If having been a price guide editor at Beckett isn't suitable experience, I don't know what would be.

Mark, you should contact the auction houses and see if they can appraise your cards for you. I bet you'll be able to find someone who can do it for you officially. For example, I believe Mike Gutierrez at Heritage has done appraisals of famous collections. I know James Spence does appraisals for insurance purposes, though he obviously specializes in autographs. As mentioned before, the auction houses at the least would be state licensed as auction houses.