View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default Insurance Appraisals

Posted By: davidcycleback

I believe to be a professional appraiser, the ones an insurance company uses, you need to be certified or or be members of specific groups, sort of like being a member of the AMA. I'm not sure of the acceptable groups, but you can find them out. The certification in part means the insurance company will know they aren't just making up prices. You can likely contact many certified appraisers in your area. You can also bring them the opinion of a card dealer or auctioneer as to the values, and they may go along with the info you bring. The appraiser may not be an expert in cards but, as is normal with appraising, uses their own knowledge along with outside info (price guides, other opinions, etc). In other words, it may be a formality of the appraiser okaying the prices you show.

Other than an appraiser, you might be able to use the opnion of a reputable auctioneer. Not only will it be obvious to the insurer than an auction house is familiar with prices, but I believe that most auction houses have to have a license with their state, so are 'certified' in a way. Even if their opinion isn't considered 'official,' this info could be what you bring to the appraiser to be okayed.

You can also use info from SMR, price guides, those price guide websites as data to back up the opinion for the insurer.