View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Default Question about the Red Cobb Portait with Drum back T206

Posted By: David Smith

Another case of greed ruining two perfectly good cards. Because of the stupid person who created this monster, a Ty Cobb card has been destroyed AND a common player with Drum back has been destroyed. Why can't people leave things alone??

A few years back there was the Just So Burkett. From what I read on this board, a perfectly good Just So actress card was destroyed so the trimmed Burkett could be restored to "look" like it originally did. I also read that this restoration job took longer than expected and cost quite a bit. I also think I later read the card was auctioned off and didn't sell for nearly what the consigner thought it would or should. I don't know if the person who had the work performed lost money on the Burkett or not but I do seem to remember that they were disappointed about the selling price.

Looks to me there are lessons in BOTH of these instances, like just leave things alone. If it is rare, there will be collectors out there willing to buy no matter the condition.

Here is my large Gypsy Queen card of Tim Keefe. Yes, it is trimmed but I am happy with it just the way it is. I am sure if I wanted to, I could also have it restored but what is the point? I am also sure that if I wanted to, I could sell it fairly quickly and that there would be more than one person interested in acquiring it, just because it is rare. A collector might not be able to find or afford an unaltered large Gypsy Queen card (I know right now I couldn't), especially of a Hall of Fame player but this type of card they could.

David