View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Default eBay requests to end auction early

Posted By: barrysloate

Okay- here's what I think about these early offers:

If the seller is a professional, and both buyer and seller are on an even playing field, then making an early offer is reasonable because both sides can negotiate with full knowledge of what the item is likely worth.

But there are numerous ebay sellers who find old baseball cards or memorabilia that are quite valuable but have no idea what they have. That is when the vultures sweep in and take advantage of the sellers. Nobody is holding a gun to the seller's head but the buyer's intent is to steal the item. I can't tell you how many people have told me of the fabulous deals they got off ebay in such a situation.

We all agree if a little old lady called and said she had some old baseball cards in the attic, and there turned out to be a real Wagner in the box, we would have an ethical obligation to point it out and explain the card should be properly auctioned. We would all agree it would be sleazy to offer her a few hundred dollars for the box and walk away with a gigantic profit.

But because the ebay seller is faceless, it's perfectly okay to steal something out in cyberspace. Ethics no longer apply when the deal takes place on the internet.