View Single Post
Old 10-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Default eBay requests to end auction early

Posted By: rrrowe

David R-

Isn't it reassuring to see how so many people have "the sellers" best interest at heart rather than their own selfish materialistic lusts when you have something they want?

The means by which an individual can justify their actions in their own eyes is limitlessly astounding. It's human nature to want "taste from the forbidden cardboard tree" or at least explore those gray areas that steer us further from the truth.

Reminds me of me and my brother. As punishment for leaving our ball gloves out in the yard overnight, Dad would make us sit in a chair for an hour while the neighborhood ballgame was taking place in the vacant lot next door. Now one of us, who shall remain nameless, would sit there quietly thinking up new games to play with his baseball cards while my brother would slide his chair around the room to get closer to the window or over to a table to get something to play with. While both of us followed the rule to the word, one of us fell to selfish temptation.

Card "collecting" is a mirror of our society and world in general. So is it any wonder that an endless stream of rules and amendments are required to continually preserve fairness for the masses from the selfish lusts of a few.

Not to get into technicalities but these attempts to manipulate an auction are reverse shilling. Shilling being an attempt by the seller to manipulate the price upward. This is the same type of action by the buyer to manipulate the price downward or direct it to a specific individual. If one is wrong wouldn't both be wrong?

Someone please explain to me how this selfishness, of which at the very least is a bending the rules, is a justifiable action. Is it, "I deserve it more because I saw it first?" Is it, "I deserve it more because I've been looking the longest?" Is it, "I deserve it more because I want it more?" JUST WHAT IS IT other than SELFISHNESS????

It seems to me that I remember how despised one dealer was because he did this same type of thing at major shows by getting the table right in front of the entrance....is this really any different? Does the hidden cloak of the internet suddenly make actions right?

If this is an accepted auction principle, then why don't major auction houses permit these types of things?

Leon, this might be a good time to use your connections with ebay to do some good for the board. If you could have your contact at ebay read this post and respond with the official ebay stance on this matter or at the very least forward you a clarification on what is the legal and ethical way to deal with these situation, I for one would greatly appreciate it. Who knows, they might even chip in for an ad.