View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Default What its all about;...

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Dan, Jerry, I feel your pain.

As a Cardinal fan, I followed those games at season's end on the radio. Listening through the static. I studied the standings in the morning paper. What a race... the Phillies lost the last 10 games they played in September.

My recollection of Johnny Callison was a strong-armed outfielder who always seemed to get the big part of the bat on the ball. Baseballs he hit always seemed to go about 50 feet further... I think he's a bit overlooked nowadays.

Tony Taylor was on that team, a smoothfielding second baseman. Richie Allen was a good match at shortstop. Back then, who would have imagined that Allen would pack his bags and move around as much as he did. Good batting eye, quick bat, and quite temperamental.

An 18 year old Rick Wise was out there in that bull pen. The 5 regular starters all had winning records that year.

I dreaded Callison at the plate when runners were on, he had 104 RBIs, Allen had 91. And if Short or Bunning were on the mound then it was going to be a difficult day, a quick day.