View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Am I the only one who buys a card without the forethought of getting it graded?

Posted By: davidcycleback

I've never had a card graded. I've also never sent in anything for an LOA, which is not to say I never would. For autographs, I wouldn't buy a Jimmie Foxx signed baseball unless it came with reputable LOA and/or from recognized autograph expert seller-- so there would be no need to get an LOA afterwards. If the autograph required an LOA afterwards, I'd not buy it. If I inherited an autograph album that contained a few Babe Ruths and Calvin Coolidge GPCs or cuts I'd send them into PSA/DNA or JSA to be slabbed, but that has yet to happen ... I met a local woman whose dad found an autograph book signed by hundreds Pre-War players including Ruth, Thorpe, Foxx, etc. She showed me the book, so I knew it wasn't a tall tale. She let me Xerox some of the pages so I could compare the signatures later. The thing was obviously genuine, but getting a JSA or PSA LOA would still be prudent and wise for insurance purposes.

As is common, a owner of a local used book store has boxes of old books occasionally left on the sidewalk in front of store. He discovers them when he gets to the store in the morning. One box included Yoko Ono's Grapefruit book signed inside by Ono and John Lennon. He had no idea who left it, so couldn't return it if he wanted (and he didn't want to). At my suggestion, he sent it in into PSA/DNA and got an LOA.