View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Default SURVEY..is your T206 Joe Doyle a rare variation ?

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

"JOE

Why are you starting with the 1997 SCD ?.....The very 1st SCD price guide in 1987 listed this Doyle as "Jim Doyle".
Now, I don't know you, or anyone, can blame Krause as the cause of this "mix-up" ?
It is certainly conceivable, given the coincidence of two Doyle's appearing on the roster in 1910, that the Sporting
Life (M116) designers got them confused.

Therefore, I do not know how anyone can be certain which of these two Doyle's (Jim or Joe) on the Cincy team was
intended by the M116 designers. Jim Doyle played in 7 games....Joe Doyle pitched in only 3 games for Cincy.

The M116 set was issued in several series from 1910 to well into 1911. Yes, Lobert is depicted with Cincy in the
M116 set, as he was included in the very 1st series issued in 1910.
In Feb. 1911 he was traded to Philadelphia (NL)."

Let me do this slowly.

1. First, the only SCD catalog that I carry around with me for a checklist, is the 1997 issue. ... they are too heavy.

2. Now you're telling us that Krause started their price list catalog in 1987, (very true) that Krause had the Jim Doyle GOOF UP in the first issue, and has never been corrected.

3. Ted, the M116 were issued 77 years before the Krause SCD Price list, ... and not the other way around.

All the M116's, namely the Joe Doyle card, had their names, and league designations on them.

4. All Krause - SCD had to do, was copy the names ... THEY GOOFED, and never corrected it.

5. As for the pressmen that worked on the 1910 M116 set:
Why would you think that they in 1910 would consider printing a card of Jim Doyle?

7. The choice between the two Doyles on the roster is easy.

One is a 29 year old new comer to the majors, that eventually got 13 AB in 1910.

The other was an established pitcher, That Clark Griffith was counting on.

If you were there, and had a vote in the matter, ... you and SCD would have been the only ones voting for Jim Doyle.