View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Default The Ebay excuse...

Posted By: Jim VB

Just for fun, I'll play the other side for a second. For the record, I'm a buyer much more than a seller.

Recently, two different Ebay auctions came up in different searches, about a week apart. First, the seller listed a T206 Cobb red back (PSA 5 or 6 I seem to recall). He had no scan, but promised to provide one and/or answer all questions 24 hours before the close of the auction. Exactly one day before the close, he ends the auction because "the card is no longer available." A couple of days after he lists the Cobb he lists a mid-grade 1952 Mantle, exact same story, no scan, questions answered 24 hours before, ends the auction one day early because "the card is no longer available."

I saw two possibilities. Either he is using Ebay to attract offers and then selling outside their system OR he never really had either card and is using their listing to attract people to his other listings (which are decidedly inferior.)

In either case, if he ever really had something I needed, I'd want some proof that he had the card before he got my money. As a buyer, you have no leverage until you win the auction. The guy doesn't answer questions. He says so in the listing. All you could do is buy the item and then ask before you pay.

I realize that doesn't apply to you guys from this board, but just thought I'd give you the buyers perspective.