View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Default Antiques Roadshow

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I went to the Roadshow about three years ago...I took a book of cards filled with T206 and Old Judges and a few caramel cards, but Simeon Lipman told me basically that I knew too much about them and I didn't "find" them. So it wasn't something that would make the show.

People are allowed to bring two items in to have them appraised and I will just say that I think Simeon Lipman knows his stuff, but there are people working for that show that are complete imbeciles. I took two old Nodders -Kruschev and Castro that were dead mint condition and some lady from Boston (Can't remember her name right now, but I still see her occasionally on the show) watched me carefully unwrap them from bubble wrap and tissue and the first thing she did when I handed one to her was start shaking it very hard...I grabbed it back and said "please don't do that". She told me they were "contemporary and worth about 10 bucks apiece"....I just laughed at her and asked if Ted Hake was around. Unfortunately he wasn't on that leg of the Roadshow tour or I think these might have made it onto the show. I ended up selling these two nodders in an online auction house (Nodder exchange) and got about $2500 for the pair. Be careful if you take fragile items as there are signs everywhere that say they are not responsible for your items being broken. The guy in line in front of me took in a beer sign that the "appraiser" was having a hard time dating - It had a freaking NRA sticker on the back which would have put it in the 1930s. I knew I was in the wrong line when I witnessed that.