View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Default Next Generation of Grading Cos.

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Peter, something simple and inexpensive to improve the grading companies sounds to me like saying "I can not afford to fix the leak, but Im going to put a new coat of paint on the pipe"!

Gosh, SGC has told us that they can not detect the removal of wax, gum, glue, light pencil and other enhancements including corner flattening, and wrinkle removal. Now admittedly, some collectors feel that this is acceptable, but not all collectors.

My recommendation is to offer an option for those collectors who want their cards held to a higher standard. Perhaps this is not feasible from the current grading companies. But if collectors want to determine whether their cards have undergone these modifications, they need to make their requirement known. And they need to recognize that the employment of specialized diagnostics will require specialized training, equipment and personnel (ie. costs).

So, if nobody wants to foot the bill, that subject is closed. And the general griping about mistakes, inconsistencies, etc. is what is on the menu. Personally, I've had enough of that fare.