View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default Ty Cobb- Would He Have Gotten Into the Hall in 1929

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Peter, you're right: I probably will cease practicing law before you but not for the reason you suggested. As for Cobb, I suppose I measure the value of a HOFer on how he compared to his contemporaries. Gaudy numbers from a different era are not necessarily helpful. But what do you think of a player like Cobb who routinely was in the top 3 in the following categories: batting average, on base percentage, slugging percentage, runs, hits, total bases, homeruns, RBI and stolen bases -- and in fact led the league in all of those categories in 1909? Barry ever do that?

Nevertheless, there is no question that Bonds is an incredible player and his numbers and career merit first ballot selection. However, his blatant steroid using makes it difficult for me to consider him a first ballot guy. I suspect I'd still vote for his induction even if he was convicted of lying to the GJ about his steroid use; I think he's that great of a player even without the power. All anyone has to do is watch Bonds at the plate to recognize his greatness. I just think that the point has to be made, as it was made with McGwire, that a blatant cheater should not be just welcomed with open arms into the HOF.