Thread: Mastro and Psa
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro and Psa

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

IMO any analogy that compares a work of fine art to a baseball card doesn't apply.

A work of fine art is, in the examples in which they're usually used, one of a kind. A baseball card is one of many of the same card, out of many of the same set. Usually.

Paintings undergo professional restoration that is disclosed and fully acceptable in the art world. It is done with the goal of preserving the only example of that painting that exists.

Baseball cards undergo all sorts of restoration, legitimate and otherwise, that is usually done with intent to deceive. It is done with the goal of duping someone into thinking that the card is in better condition than it really is.

Two different animals.

In this case, I think that Charlie's analogy of washing bird crap off a car is the most accurate. All sorts of things can happen to a car during its life - minor things that can be repaired with no harm, no foul, serious things that should be disclosed out of fairness to the buyer, and all points inbetween. Just as a vintage car with all its original parts and paint in pristine condition is valuable, so is a vintage card in pristine condition. Just as a vintage car can be manipulated and buyers deceived into thinking they're getting something they're not, so can a vintage card.

I agree with just about everything Charlie is saying in his analogy. However, you can take it a step further and say that it's possible to use a chemical to get that particularly stubborn clump of crap off your rag top, but I don't think that's acceptable to do with a card.

-Al