View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Default Bridge collapse in minneapolis...

Posted By: Tom Hufford

This morning, in this forum, I read:

"My question is, how long before Bush and/or Cheney come out and say Al Quada (sp?) is involved?

David"

My response was going to be "Probably not before someone blames the Bush/Cheney administration for the collapse first." And I was right, it didn't take long, just a couple of more postings. Right, of course. This is the same administration that is responsible for Hurricane Katrina, the hurricanes that destroyed my condo in Florida, the California forest fires, flooding in the Midwest, and increased sun flare activity that has raised the temperature on Mars. Tax cuts have resulted in INCREASED revenue, just like they did when JFK cut taxes. The increased deficits are the result of increased SPENDING, on all fronts - not just a war.

I was a traffic/transportation engineer for 30 years, and know full well the shape of our infrastructure - not just highways, but sewers, water supply systems, waste-water treatment plants, etc. Spending money on this stuff just ain't sexy. And if our Interstate highway system hadn't been constructed back when government was expected to provide highways, bridges, public works, police and fire protection, and national security/defense - before someone discovered that it was the government's responsibility to provide for all of life's needs - it would never have been built. We would still be trying to cross the nation on a two-lane Route 66.

This is a great (O/T) forum topic. I can't wait until we discuss why gasoline (a non-renewable resource) at $3.00 a gallon is less than half the cost of a gallon of milk, orange juice - or Starbucks coffee.