View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Default Don't you love Ebay sellers who pull auctions early

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

I'm not about to go to the mat for eBay, because the company does many things with which I do not agree. But I am surprised by the many commenters who seem to think that because eBay has shortcomings, it's basically OK to circumvent rules, because eBay "has it coming."

Here's a thought: If eBay's business practices bother you so much, don't do business with the company. To call the practice of not giving sellers advance notice of a 10-cent listing day "deceitful" is kind of comical. If you pay $2.49 for a gallon of milk on Saturday at Kroger, and the store sells it for $1.99 on Sunday, do you think that's deceitful? Obviously they knew on Saturday milk was going on sale the next day. Was it deceitful that Kroger didn't give you a three-day heads-up?

Again, eBay isn't perfect, and I'm not saying it is. But I've read many a comment on this board from folks whose accounts were compromised, and all of the blame was placed on eBay. Yet many times I could tell by the description of what happened that the victim had in fact been fooled by a scammer and had put himself at risk by providing the scammer with his password. Following some basic rules of Internet use would have prevented the problem, yet it is much easier to blame eBay.

OK, rip away.

(Edited to fix a typo) x 2