View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default Calling All W517 Experts...

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Brad: please understand that it is my opinion that cards can not be authenticated. The best that can be done is to systematically eliminate possible evidence that the card is a fake. Some consider the result of that effort as "proof". I do not.

My conversation above addressed one characteristic. The multicolor dot matrix. It is true that existence of a multicolor dot patern is proof that the card is a fake. But is the absence of that pattern "proof" that it is real? No. At best it is an indication that the printing occured before the war.

Based on the evidence presented this far, could your card be an original which was skinned and rebacked? Why are there border dots, since what Adam says is true? And Leon.

I am afraid that I am not nearly the best man here for this task. However, since the task which you requested is to state my opinion, I may be the only man capable of adequately doing that. But please recognize that the result will be an opinion.

While you are awaiting the return of your card, can I offer you a booklet entitled "Judging the Authenticity of Early Baseball Cards" for your perusal? Ummmm ... you must return it, even if you like it.