View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default Calling All W517 Experts...

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Although Bill Spigler made reprints with W-517 on them, he may have not made every reprint of this set which exists. Recognizing that consideration, the following observations apply to this card.

(1) the bottom left corner is cut a little funny, as if someone were trying to cut away the "W517" that's printed on the reprints
(2) the line at the top is made of dots and not dashes. Most other W517's that I've seen have dashes
(3) the card is a bit wider than the others that I have
(4) the card is a bit glossy rather than flat

1) Bill's W-517 is always located nearer to the player image than this card's trimming could hide. Therefore, IMO the W-517 indication is not cut off.
2)W-517s infrequently (but sometimes) come with dots rather than dashes. But that was not done on the Spigler reprints.
3)Wider could be a problem for a dispensing machine. Or maybe not. (boy that is clear, Gil)
4) I have not seen a glossy W-517. Spigler's reprints are quite glossy and all have white backs.

So, if a reprint, it is not one of those commonly available.

Steve f: you have dealt with Bill S., and have some of his reprints. Do you agree with this assessment?

Gil

Brad: if you can look at the card under sufficient magnification the brown color on the card will show dots of yellow, light blue, pink and black if it is fake. And if it is real, the brown color will show brown dots.

This is unmistakeable and you know the answer within seconds of looking at it.