View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Default T222 Fatima of Jack Lelivelt

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

A few years ago I interviewd George Archie for the oral history project. He was a kind, gracious fellow, happy to talk baseball. He lost about the most time of anyone to WW II, he was one of the first ones in, and one of the last ones out...

He'd been a big star in the PCL before the war. He had been in the Tigers organization and won "free agency" from Landis because of the way the Tigers had kept him in the minors. Mr. Archie was having a difficult time making it to the big leagues to play in Hank Greenberg's place. Mr. Archie bought a house with the money Landis got him.

I asked Mr. Archie who he'd encountered who seemed to be most knowledgeable about the game... he said it was Jack Lelivelt, who'd been his manager at Seattle.

Upon hearing that I sought out Lelivelt cards. I got the guides to "correct" the Colgans Chips listing, which incorrectly identified the Lelivelt card as Jack, when it was really Bill. I got a couple of Lelivelt Zeenuts... And I've always wanted a Lelivelt T222.

I'd never seen one. But one just closed on eBay?? Anyone here willing to admit that they were the buyer? I hope the buyer reads this, was buying Lelivelt to upgrade an old raggedy card, and he'll sell the old card to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150124616373&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

Frank.