View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Default the biggest hoarder??

Posted By: Ray

Jason/Peter,

When I first got into collecting pre-war, about a year or so ago, I picked up a few cheap raw commons of various sets to educate myself a little and see what set I wanted to collect. Well I picked up a raw version of this card (I think it's the second raw card at the top) for about $6. I got it in the mail, and read the back, which mentioned that Lynn Nelson was born in Fargo, ND.

Now, I didn't grow up in Fargo, but I did live there for a year or so during my last year of high school. I met my wife there and met life-long friends there, and really love that city. After a little research, I found that Lynn Nelson is the only pre-war ball player from Fargo (the only other noteable guy from there is Roger Maris).

Oh, and on a side note, Lynn Nelson wasn't born in Fargo. He was born about 60 miles to the south in a little town called Sheldon, ND.

I'm definitely not hoarding them Like I said before, there's gotta be several hundred of them floating around out there. But getting one in the mail reminds me of the thrill I got when not only did I get one of my first pre-war cards, but I read the back to see Fargo mentioned. It's just a cool feeling. Plus, pretty much any pre-war card looks awesome with a bunch of its brothers sitting right next to it.