View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Default O/T: Unassisted Triple Play

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Tough break, Scot.... at least you have the ticket stub. I suggest snatching that kid's stub.

Reminds me of in the 70s, when I was a DJ and college student. Each summer I'd DJ and lifeguard, and I'd order Cardinals tickets to 6 or 8 games. Then, during the summer, as the games came around, I'd find 3 buddies to go. 4 1/2 hour drive each way, we'd get back a few hours before sunrise after a night game. $7.50 for a ticket, $15 for my share of gas, close to $20 for food and beverages... $40 to see a game.

This kid at the radio station was amazed that I went to games. He claimed to be a lifelong Cards fan, and bugged me about going. He kept promising he'd buy all the gas. When he finally got up to promising to pay for all we could eat and drink we took him. We get there for BP, and a friend catches a BP home run hit by Omar Moreno. We go to our seats, but the kid goes elsewhere. As I'm writing down the lineups, and my buddies are ready to have that first beer, our kid returns. He has one of everything the souvenir shop sold, he had a pennant, pens, bobble heads, cards, hat, T shirt, batting gloves, head band, wristbands, key chain... and he was spent out. Hell, we had to buy him food!! And we were stuck buying our own beer.

A brave man you are, you and 3 kids. You needed a backup parent.