View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default Name me a nice person in your collecting history

Posted By: J Levine

People who I have met, bought from, or traded with number in the 1000s. A few standouts though...

The first one that comes to mind is Frank Nagy. I was literally just a kid when I met him at a show back East. Gave me a '49 Bowman card.

When I was 16 I bought my first vintage card from a catalog...Lew Lipset was nice enough to sell me a few cards over the years and although sometimes gruff, was a great dealer and very helpful when I asked a question.

Paul Maroke, a local dealer who often lets me put stuff on lay away or pay for it later. Over the years, Paul has given me discounts, got me into a National with a dealer pass, found and held onto difficult Phillies for me, and generally built many of my topps sets using his copious amounts of off-condition cards.

Jim Montgomery traded me cards but I would find one thing on his very tough list and he would send something about ten times the value. Not only that he was a very nice guy, knew his stuff, and extremely generous.

Kit Young and Bob Ivanjack. Both have helped over the years with cards and always nice. Complete pros.

Bob Lemke...very nice, a great Jackie fan, easy to talk to and his knowledge is vast.

Mike Wheat...yes really...about 20 years ago the trading group that I am in (along with some other board members--OBC) knew that I was bidding on a very poor condition t206 Magie. Literally, the card has about 1/5 of the top missing and a horrible back. At the time I was 17 years old and Jim Montgomery and others outbid me without my knowledge. Mike let them pay with several different checks, etc. and sent me the card. I was floored that they did this for me. I outlayed a small portion to Mike but they paid the lion's share and Mike let them. How many auction houses and auctioneers would do that today? The Magie is not he rarest card in my collection but it is the dearest to me.

Leon and Bill for letting me ask about 20 novice questions on the board and not getting frustrated.

Bill Henderson was always nice to me as well. Even at this last National he gave me some goudey 4-in-1s for what he paid for them. Bill also used to include extra bonus cards in his auctions.

Terry Knouse who always lets me handle his stuff knowing that I will almost never be able to buy any of it. Over the years I have made a few purchases from Terry and his son and they are very knowledgeable and very nice. They are still some of my favorite people.

Trevor Hocking...knows his stuff, very nice, and a great collector/dealer.

Scott Brockleman...knows his stuff, given me some good deals over the years (most notably my t205 wallace one line for well below book) and will always answer questions about items.

Gar Miller...one of better old time dealers. As a 16 year old collector I was told to send him a check and a list and be prepared. I sent him my '53 Bowman Black and White list and $25. He sent back 25 cards including the Stengel. Over the years, I have bought a few cards from Gar and he is always quick to respond and a pleasure to deal with.

Unknown collector at a show in North Hollywood in 1986. Was looking at t206s and t207s at a table just wondering if I should spend the $15 on a ex t206 when the guy leans over and asks if I like the tobacco cards. I said I was not sure because I don't collect them. He said, "now you do." and handed me a beater t206, my first and that started the vintage obsession for me. I was 15 at the time. Over the years I have sent a few t206s to new collectors or given away cards at shows to kids just to keep that memory alive and well.

This hobby can seem really cutthroat and horribly annoying at times but it really is, for the most part, populated by great people. The above is just a small sample of people I have met over the years.

Joshua

PS Others that I would like to mention...OBC, Larry Tipton (where "tipton mint" comes from), Solomon Cramer, Jim and Ginny Maxwell, Barry Sloate, Adam W., Will Hays, Joe Juhasz, Bob Marquette, Bob Craik, Len Mederios, Frank Thomas, Bob Feller, and Mickey Hatcher, Les Klein, Max at Valley Baseball cards, and Neil at Tripleplay and Rob at Burbank Sportscards, and many many others.