View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Default Name me a nice person in your collecting history

Posted By: shane Leonard

Each year my father would throw unopened packs of cards in my stocking for Christmas. As time passed and I aged into a teenager, he began to have unopened boxes and perhaps a Mickey Mantle thrown in my stocking that he had purchased from Wayne Grove's shop, Firstbase in Dallas. In 1991, I got married to an awesome woman from Arkansas. (please no Arkansas jokes, and yes she has all her teeth) My father stopped placing the cards in my stocking thinking that it would make me feel stupid or childish. I never said anything the first couple of years to him, but it bothered me that our tradition had ended.
A couple of years later she learned that my card collecting was very important to me. We had just bought our business and things were a little tight this Christmas. We decided that we would only do stocking for each other and then spoil the kids with the presents. My stocking was filled that Christmas with shaving stuff, candies and a little box. I opened it up to find a 1954 Wilson Weiner Sammy White PSA 8 starring at me. This really was a special gift from a special friend.

Shane