View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default What is next in 21st century card collecting

Posted By: Josh Adams

I agree with Paul. Very well put.

"After reading pieces of the Bobby Binder thread I'm reminded that evidently some collectors today not only pay someone else to tell them the grade of their card (paragraph 1), but now also pay someone a fee each month so they can know what their card is worth... That seems ludicrous, too."

Frank, you write this in your initial post, seemingly in an effort to spark a conversation about where collecting is heading. However, you give a backhanded slight to those who prefer cards in plastic holders. Everyone on here knows your preference for non-graded cards (we all know you say it enough). That's fine. I respect your choice, and far be it from me to tell someone else how to collect. It's a hobby, it is supposed to be FUN. Each person here inteprets FUN a seperate way.

However, after your initial post, your whole "golly, gee whiz, I wasn't trying to slam anyone" is, well, not believable. Your choice of words are loaded, and down right demeaning. "some collectors pay someone to tell them the grade." The implication is that collectors who buy slabbed cards are morons. I'm sure that is news to alot of people who have their card stored in PSA, SGC, GAI, etc. holders. If you can't see how your word choice is inflammatory, I suggest a book on style and composition.

How about this. Try to have a little understanding for other people's collecting tastes. Heck, I don't really care how other people collect, but when someone starts insulting me for my choices in a hobby, i.e., an escape from the everyday, well that is just foolish.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not ever remember anyone on here slamming you for your preference for raw cards. I wish the reverse were true.

Everyone, HAVE FUN!!

Josh

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!