View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Default Best deal you ever passed on

Posted By: J Levine

My first Anaheim National...I was just about to start student teaching and saved a bunch of money for the National (about $500) which was huge money for a college kid knowing he would not be able to work for the next 6 months.

Walked in to the show and after saying hello to a few collectors and dealers that I know, I walked over to Kit Young's table to say "hello." Sort of a crowd around the table. I was handed a stack of cards and asked my opinion. I said vintage but never had seen them before. What I was holding was the nearly (still) complete set of the Allegheny playing cards. I went through them and wrote down all the Phillies to add to my list. I then asked how much for one. Kit said $150 but if I buy a bunch he would give me a deal. I wanted to buy a bunch of other Phillies and did not want to spend all my money in one place. Instead I spent my $500 on several other Phillies cards (although I did get a my first e94, e101, and 5 cracker jack phillies that show among a bunch of oddball '40s-'70s phillies).

That one transaction (or non-transaction) haunts me to this day.

Joshua

PS I held one of the same cards at Terry Knouse's table at the last National and he offered to sell it to me for about a $1000 more than Kit...I am still heartbroken.