View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default Stories about great "Finds" Please Share

Posted By: RC

I may have shared this on Net54 already but this is a good story I think and fits the thread.

I have taken guitar lessons for a number of years and was talking about cards with my instructor when he said his dad had some old cards and would show them to me sometime. I figured early 50's Topps, Bowmans, etc... One day his dad called me into his living room to check out his collection. In the proverbial cigar box were 145 '33 Goudeys, including a Ruth, Gehrig, Hubbell, Dean, etc... There were also a couple "Heads Up" cards, some "Lou Gehrig says" cards, about 25 or so Diamond Stars and 40+ wide and thin pens.
He had these cards for at least 40 years.

Long story short, the gentleman passed away a couple years ago and his son and I worked out an agreement on the cards and I now own them. More than that, it totally rejuvenated my interest into cards and especially pre-war which I had never even thought a possibility.

I am now a faithful ebayer, a net54 poster, and am having a fabulous time.
I have even taken the bite and have some T206 cards, the Monster bit!! I am hoping to make a trip to Nationals this year and meet some of the fellow posters on this board.

RC