View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Default Problem with John Ward Four Base Hits

Posted By: JK

"This affects several different parties and there was no need to rush it."

Leon, I respectfully disagree here. This card has continued to go up since New Years. Some of the early bidders may not even know about the addendum (unless of course, the auction house emailed them separately - which I doubt). Further, it seems to me that there had to have been knowledge that some work was done on this card before the auction began - even if the full extent of the work was unknown (giving the auction house the benefit of the doubt). On an item such as this, it is inappropriate IMO to list first and vett the card later.

Next, with regard to the consignor - even if he disclosed the restoration (as those who know him assure us he did) he is still at fault. How could he not take issue with the description as originally written (and please dont say he may not have seen the original description)? How could he not demand full disclosure? Of course, if the auction house is to be believed, the consignor never provided the full extent of the restoration.

Its real simple to me - either the consignor lied about the card or failed to disclose the restoration and the auction house turned a blind eye to what appears to be obvious work; or the consignor fully informed the auction house but failed to follow up after seeing the misleading description, the auction house felt it was not obligated to disclose the restoration (or thought it would decrease profits), then updated the listing to save its ass.