View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default Let's Be Frank, Actually My Name Is Peter...

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Peter:

Sometimes it feels like the values of cards DO drop by the hour after I purchased them.

I've been giving your question a lot of thought, and although I do not consider myself an investor in this hobby (if I am an investor, I'm an awfully bad one), I do think that if the values of cards continued to decline, I probably would make a few subtle changes in my collecting habits.

First, I would want to recover some of the cash I have invested in my '38 Goudey set. So if I saw prices declining rapidly, I'd probably sell that set as quickly as I could - not because I don't love the cards, but because I sure have spent a lot of money on them.

Second, I may "repurpose" some of what I collect. I've always liked larger-format cards with photography - cards like Exhibits, R314s, and the like. I have shied away from them due to the fact that I don't generally like building sets. But if prices changed dramatically, I'd be interested in making a run at sets like that.

Third, I really do like 1952 Bowmans. I'd probably try and build a set of those in high grade.

Lastly, I'd probably go after some more difficult large-format cards like W600s, M110s, and other cabinets. I really do love cards like that - they're very pleasing to me, but a little steep for my current card budget in most cases.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread.

-Al