View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Default Let's Be Frank, Actually My Name Is Peter...

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

Peter's thoughts about an investors crash in the T206 market.

Hmmn, as much as I'm not for it, it does have some merit.
All the investors in denial will panic, and seek financial safety elsewhere.
If the investors decide to part with whatever is left of their dwindling portfolios, I'm sure that the collectors will extend a hand, and show an out pouring of their warm hearts.
We'll even purchase the plane tickets for our brothers and sisterS of the Collectors Investors in Denial.
Then, you will see a celebration that will dwarf the celebration called El Cinco de Mayo, to "Putting the (H) back in the Baseball Card Hobby.

It's a win/win situation for everybody.
The marketeers can go back to reading their Wall Street Journal.
The collectors can go back to talking about baseball cards in whatever collector condition.

All kidding aside,we love you poor misguided folks.
If you can handle the crash?
Stick around, and we'll teach you how to enjoy, and have some real fun with the cards.

Double Hmmn.
Peter, or is that Frank? .. comes out of the closet.

In another thread, I was discussing the mindset difference between the sicko collector and the investor in denial.
Peter claimed to be both, an investor and a collector, I thought otherwise.
Today in this soul searching thread, he comes out.

"Well if the prewar stuff dropped then the modern card market would probably follow. I would stop collecting both."

Peter

OK Peter,
Now look at the audience and say: "I am not smarter than a fifth grader"
-------------------------

Jim C. two things:

(1). ... "Kevin,

I owe you a call. I do want to speak with you-- sorry.

Don't post anymore Kevin--people will think you are serious."
Jimbo, if I didn't know any better, I would have funny thoughts about the above.

(2). ... Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy have been away for many years.
Stop trying to lip sync Kevins words.
He can handle, and speak very well for himself.
--------------------------

"Only enough room on a cross for one"
I Luv that line.

John W,
Those are good questions for Kevin, and I do believe he wants to help.
I don't know Kevin, but he sounds like he knows his area.
I'm just a collector also, but when you lay down a lot of bread for some cardboard, and then you find out that it might not be kosher. ... you'd be surprised how intense your drive and determination to learn all about that card is.

I studied it, and I had what almost looked like a war room.
I just didn't study the card, I connected all the dots, and crossed all the T's.
I went to Danny Dupcek store "Fantasia" several times in up State, NY.
A comic and baseball cards store with autograph T206'S in his display case.
Connected names to other deals with him.
Talked to the District Attorney inhis area.
Discovered a network connected to Flint MI, that included a dealer and some people interested in the altering scheme.
This was in 1990, between Memorial Day & Labor Day.
Without seeing the card, Lew Lipset was the one that gave me the clue that it might not be good.
He had heard about it from a major collector that also fell for it.
I went to the Parsippany NJ show, and happen to mention it to Mastro, he recommended Herman Kaufman to represent me, I couldn't have asked for better, we became strong friends.
Got in touch with Bob Lemke, I told him the story, and he was extremely helpful.
It was a delicate situation for him, because Fantasia was also an advertiser in SCD.
Got in touch with Larry Fritsch, because he owns two Doyles and I knew that he would have an interest in Doctor Koos work.
John Tish, a dealer and friend from the Onionta and Cooperstown area was involved, and Mark Macrae from the west coast came on board.
All the while I'm studing my real Slow Joe Doyle, the two un kosher ones from Dr. Koos, common Doyle's NY and every T206 Nat'l that I could look at.
I was looking at the type fonts, ink colors and the constant of the T206.
I got my money back, but the kicker was the national in Texas.
We found a dealer from mile high that got a Magie from a dealer from Flint MI.

Mile high took a long time in believing us, and never even thanked us when he got his money back.

Flint MI. was expecting more booty being brought in by his son from Flint MI.

The dealers that I know are nice people.
Instead of looking for cards for my collection, I spent most of the time talking to dealers, telling them about the Koos work and trying to point out what to look for.
I kept a couple of pointers to myself for a good reason.
I knew the story was going to be getting out.
I saw no sense in letting the Dr. know what to cure.

The sad part about this is, I was hoping that the dealer at the show would pick up the banner and slam Dr. Koos, but that wasn't the case.
As a collector, I won my fight.
Except for LEW LIPSET - MARK MACRAE - HERMAN KAUFMAN - JOHN TISH - FRITSCH and LEMKE, the others let Danny Dupcek escape, and come back to haunt them and the collectors later.

I'm not an expert, but never mess with a person from Spanish Harlem. ... he can become a blood hound in seconds flat

John W. ... stay well.
Kevin S. ... welcome on board ... front and center, and let's get the bastards.

Joe P.