View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Default Mr. Verkman – Keep your Word - Letters From Bill Mastro, Joe Orlando, & Marshall Fogel

Posted By: davidcycleback

There's little doubt a 1930 calendar would have been issued in 1929, but 1929 V 1930 would be a minor issue at best in valuation.

My opinion is that someone competent could examine the printing with a microscope and offer a good opinion if the card is vintage or modern. As digital images can be made through a microscope, images could be posted on line as evidence. If the calendar is a modern computer print, that would be illustrated easily. If it's a photoengraving, which is a process that likely would have been used to make such a 1929 item, that could be illustrated as well.

If the item was made with a photocopier, as some suggest, there's no need to do paper tests on the card. I can assure you that, no matter the age of the paper, photocopiers weren't being used in 1929.

It would be nice to know when Goudey started Big League Chewing Gum. If the brand began with the 1933 cards, there would be little debate the card is fake. Goudey wouldn't have advertised a product 3-4 before it existed. However, I haven't heard anyone state the year when the brand began.