View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Default Yes..same card as in the other thread but...color variation?

Posted By: Kevin

Hi Dave,

My post was not about the O'Leary card. That is more than likely a true variation, as many are.

My comment was more generalized in that we should not always take color variations at face value. Each should be looked at closely just to make sure no alterations have been made. Many times it may be difficult at best to determine, even by the most advanced collector.

I've learned that before making a statement that can be somewhat unbelievable...I should show some kind of example .

While we are on the subject, card doctors don't always make a card as perfect as possible. Sometimes they are made to look imperfect...just as long as the variation or alteration raises the value in some way. This double deception, creates a believability factor. It would be three steps forward and one step back. The end result would still be two steps ahead.

As an example...the O'Leary card, although real, could have easily had the scrap paper added. The collector would pay extra thinking, "I could remove that scrap."

Kevin