View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Default Worst case scenario....get a divorce and wife gets half your collection?

Posted By: Bob

Just told the wife last night where to find the combination for the safes and the safe deposit box key in case anything happens to me. She just shrugged and said, "o.k.." and went back to reading her book. I occasionally show her a new card when it comes in and she knows I have a valuable collection but could really care less. She knows that I want the grown-up kids to go through and pick out some cards they like (to remember their old man's hobby) and select a few for the grandkids, but otherwise she could care less. Most of the collection will end up on ebay I presume although I like one poster's idea of having a slabbed set thrown in to the casket with him We've made it 36 years together so I presume we are o.k. She is just glad I have a hobby to keep me occupied. As long as I show her how the cards are appreciating and sell some from time to time to buy more, she's o.k. with only slightly being in the dark as to the value.
Post-nups are no good here. If you are going to do a pre-nup, you better divulge the value of the collection and not just say, "I've got some baseball cards," that won't cut it.