View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default Article about ebay accounts hacked and hijacked

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

About 6 months ago my ebay account was hijacked. Here is how it was done.

The culprits used my ebay email address and hacked into my web server and obtained my ebay email password. They then then went to ebay, tried to log in as me and couldn't they then requested ebay sent out the password because they (I) had forgotten it. They then simply logged into my ebay email account and then took the password and logged into ebay, the then subsiquently changed my ebay password and email password.

Once they had my ebay account they listed several high tech items for sale on ebay using my account (BIN). I didn't discover for a few days when I coudn't log into ebay. When I requested ebay send me my password via email, I couldn't login to my ebay email account. Luckily for me, I am the admin to my web host where my email is located. I logged in via my admin panel and noticed the email address had been hacked. The culprit put an auto reply on the email address and forwarded the email to another email account.

They were Pretty slick...
I immediately changed my ebay email password. Changed my ebay account password and called ebay. They were very helpful and pulled all of the current fraudulant auctions under my account.

I was lucky and didn't get burned but if I had waited maybe another day, someone was gonna get burned and my ebay account would have probably suffered.

The moral of the story is, change your passwords often. Check your ebay account daily and if you can't login to ebay and you are confident of the password, call them.

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com