View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Default Slightly OT - question after watching Ken Burns "Baseball"

Posted By: Anonymous

Joann,
"Or did it make the essential structure of the game, and being able to play at all, more available to those with lesser skills, aging, etc?"

"BINGO" - As my senses, skills, stamina, physical abilities & most of all my sight(hand eye cordination) deminished, Softball became a great sport for me to continue to compete in. By the time I was 30, Baseball at 80 miles an hour wasn't an option anymore! (Unless ofcourse, hitting .240ish in a bush league is tolerable? For me it wasn't close!) Fast pitch Softball became the ticket to my competitive spirit. IMO, I don't feel that the game of baseball was at all changed by Softball. I do however feel that the adoption of the big pay day was Baseballs downfall, if there was one at all? But, I must concede to the fact that it weighs nothing on my heart for the love of the game(Big Paydays that Is!). What they get paid is of little interest to me...
In Mr. Ritter's, "The Glory of Their Times", Which is the foundation to Burn's Show, Sam Crawford talks bout how he missed getting a pension by one year & Lost all his savings in the stock market crash. What amazed me the most was that He didn't sound at all bitter...He talks bout how back then they played for the Love of the game. His recollection of his past was full of fond memories of Baseball. Outstanding stuff from a HOF'er who says he was barely able to keep his home... You take the Millions away from most ball players today and the story most likely will not be filled with fond memories.... To say the least

"Great Question Jo!"

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh