View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball Magazine Question

Posted By: davidcycleback

To be technical, if they are what you think they might be they would be supplements. Supplements are included with an item (ala a print stuck inside a magazine) and premiums have to be sent away for (ala send three coupons and $1 to receive a print).

My opinion is that, with exceptions, a supplement isn't printed as part of the normal pages of a magazine, but is a independent thing. A loose folded over print or postcard stuck inside the magazine is something independent. There will be scarce cases where a bound page has a blank back and was clearly intended to be removed as display piece, and I can count those as supplements. Even though staple bound with the normal pages of a Sports Illustrated For Kids magazine, those SI 4 Kids card/card sheets were clearly intended to be removed as independent collectibles, as the sheets are on heavy card stock (different than the other pages) and the cards have perforated lines ... However, if a picture is on normal magazine paper and has unrelated text printed on back, that is the standard sign to me that it's a page from the publication not a supplement. The Harper's Woodcuts, for example, aren't supplements, just nice pictures printed in the magazine. If you turn over a Harper's Woodcut you'll usually find text to an unrelated article ("General Sherman's favorite parakeet fell ill last Tuesday ... ").

Even if one thinks I'm being too exclusive in defining supplement, it's the prints that are physically independent to the magazine that will have the higher value. In general, a whole page picture that is cut or torn out of a magazine will have lesser value.