View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default How many complete sets of 1954 Wilson's Franks?

Posted By: shane

The Fox can be found in PSA 1-4 all day long (Levi collection), however if you are looking for this card in a PSA 5-7 is very difficult. Three guys on the registry need this card in a PSA 5 or higher, so I believe it is not an easy card to find in this condition. There has been three sets available through Mastro and Drent over the past two years. One set in Mastro had a PSA 1MK Williams in it which hurt the sale of this set and the other (Drents) set was a low end set containing a mixture of SGC and PSA cards which hurt it as well. The other set in Mastro was a very high end set which sold north of $40k containing a couple of PSA 8's (Pafko, Hodges and White). The set was listed as one lot and then also individually listed in 20 lots as singles. The single lots sold for more than the one lot complete set. I believe the Hodges went to Scott (interchanges) and sold for $3800. A collector with lots of money can always buy a complete set in high grade when it comes available. My point here is that a collector with an unlimited budget can NOT put together a high grade set in todays market. As Bruce said, not many exist in PSA 8 form to assemble a set. Most of these are already in Louchious' set and belong in long term collections.
I have one PSA 8 in my set (White) which is the easiest card in the set (last one sold for $3100-Mastro). I think Keppler has a PSA 8 Slaughter for $4995 and a eBay seller had a Hodges for $5500, but never sold.