View Single Post
Old 01-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default Paperloss experience with SGC grading

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

When I see posts like this about small patches of paper loss I immediately begin to think that the graders look at a card to get the "whole picture look" but then they may miss the little things (which actually are big things) for some reason or other. Maybe the grader looks at the card, says this is a "6", the phone rings the grader puts down the card and the next thing you know the small spot of paper loss is missed. Who knows how this really happens though. You have to figure, the grading service gets paid a nominal amount to have the following done:

• Received and logged into their system

• Appraised/graded/evaluated

• Log the grade into the system

• Create a label

• Encapsulate the card

• Package it and send it back to the submitter.

I guess that's a lot for about $10. In any case, it's their business so you'd hope that they'd catch all the little flaws. What's an acceptable quality control number here? 99.9% accurate on not missing the little stuff (small patch of paper loss, small crease, small mark)?

Too bad this wasn't a PSA card, we could all start a PSA bashing thread. I think it's been at least a good couple of weeks since we've seen one of those... did everyone make a news years resolution not to do a PSA bashing thread? Heck, I feel like starting one....