View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Default Photo ID help - is this vintage?

Posted By: D Brown

Hi, I'm a lurker, first post here, forgive any lapses in etiquette.

I have the remnants of a baseball collection put together in the 1980s, but now what I collect are real photo postcards (non-baseball for the most part). This seller is not selling "real" real photo cards -- the AZO back seems to be printed or, more likely, wet-stamped onto the back of artificially aged photo paper. (The center line in the PCL postcard looks smudged, not to mention purple.) AZO's backs were printed in black ink, usually faint; the sellers' vary in color and placement and in general look like a reproduction, not the real thing. They are kind of astoundingly bad, if all you do is look at postcard backs, but at first glance they sure look like genuine old stuff.

It's clever and easy to do but I haven't seen faked RPPC backs before. Surprised the guy hasn't been neg'd for it. (Also, several of the things he sells are anachronistic: an 1890s baseball photo on an 1910s back, the same for the Deadwood stagecoach postcard, photo pre-1900.) He is obviously careful to not call them vintage, and "real photo" tells you... not so much. Yep, it's a photo.

David