View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Default Ways to assemble a nice collection?

Posted By: Cat

I have been thinking a lot about the focus of my collection lately. I have backed away from several purchases with the thought that: "This purchase doesn't fit my collection goals. It's simply filling my 'I haven't bought anything in awhile' anxiety."

I set out to collect rookie cards or first cards of all HOFers that were selected into the Hall by the Baseball Writers. The Sporting News published a "100 Greatest Players" list and I had to add those if I didn't already have them.

I had to have a Joe Jackson. The M101-5 was my first, but of course it was not his rookie. The e90-1 doesn't look like him so, I had to keep the M101-5 when I finally picked up the e90-1. The CJ is probably the sweetest and most recognizable so I picked that up. But then I acquired the National Game card. It really is the "card" with the best close up picture of him. So now I have four cards of someone that isn't even in the HOF...let alone elected by the BB Writers.

I have both of Mickey's "rookies." Of course the 51 Bowman is the rookie but the 52 Topps is sooo sweet and recognizable to everyone...even non-collectors. I have put the Topps on EBay and it hasn't sold. Quite frankly it's a relief every time the auction ends without a buyer.

I could go on and on about breaking my own collecting rules/focus. But the end message is I think I will be focusing my collection a little more during 2007. I'm sure I will sell some cards but also buy some cards that are perhaps a little more expensive but fit my goals.