View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default R.I.P Cecil Travis.....

Posted By: Greg

A person shouldn't be elected to the Hall of Fame just because he died, but in this case I think the publicity surrounding the death of Cecil Travis brings to light the fact that he is a deserving candidate who had long been forgotten.
Travis was a great hitter (albeit a singles hitter) who kept getting better -- his last pre war year was by far and away his best -- in 1941, when Ted Williams hit .406 and Dimaggio had his hitting streak, it was Travis who led the American League in hits.
You can't give a player who has a great 8-10 years then gets injured credit for what might have been, but I think you certainly have to for someone whose careeer essentially came to an end because he joined the military and defended his nation. I believe Travis is just about the only player who fits into this category. Teddy Ballgame lost his chance at the home run record due to his war service, but I can't think of anyone else who lost his shot at the Hall of Fame because of it. Travis was also burdened by playing for terrible Washington teams -- had he played for New York or Boston, he might be in the Hall already.