View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Default Who do you think deserves to be in the HOF!!

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I'm afraid to make a comment that may seem negative about Lefty O'Doul. I'll fear for my life and keep looking behind my back for the dagger that will await me...

Lefty started out as a pitcher and made his ML debut when he was 22. Guess what, he wasn't that good at pitching. He was about 26 when he finally gave up trying to be a big league pitcher. He then changed over to playing the outfield and made his return to the ML at the age of 31. He didn't do too badly, he played a good part of the season and he swung the lumber well. The following year (when he was 32) he found a full time position for four years (on two different teams, oddly enough). In those four years he won 2 batting titles while hitting about .373 during that span. He acheived the 200 hit plateau 3 times with a high of 254 hits in 1929 (one of his batting title years - .398). He played 2 more ML seasons after that 4 year stretch. All total he was in the ML for 11 seasons but he only played in 4 full seasons (but what great seasons they were). He left the ML at the age of 37 after only 3,264 at bats. This is the biggest knock on Lefty's ML career. He was stellar for 4 seasons and that was it. Yes, he meets the 10 year requirement but he basically only had 4 full seasons of incredible stats (actually 3 really great years, the other was still pretty good). He also had two seasons with about with about 350 to 390 at bats but he only batted over .300 in one of those seasons.

That .349 lifetime batting average usually raises a few eyebrows but I think if he could have dominated for 2 to 3 more years he probably would be enshrined already.

He was a very dominant 4 year player and that's probably why the writers haven't elected him (yet).

Now, those of you Lefty lovers/supporters, please don't kill me...

edited to add a link (if possible)