View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Default Who do you think deserves to be in the HOF!!

Posted By: Dave Rey

Fred --

I'm interested in what is so "politically correct" about an long-overdue recognition of many players that were the equals (or even better) of their white major league counterparts that were already enshrined.

The Hall of Fame had to be shamed by that paragon of political correctness, Ted Williams, into finally getting around to extending invitations to players such as Paige, Gibson and Lloyd -- who may be the best three players to have ever played their positions (regardless of skin color) -- starting in 1971.

Baseball, as an institution, was so different pre-1947 that there probably should be a revival of recognition that nineteenth century baseball, the Negro Leagues and the minor leagues were every bit as important or relevant to the health and success of baseball in America as the modern major leagues.

I would love to see the same serious effort that recently went into identifying deserving Negro Leagues players go into identifying the most deserving of the nineteeth century players.

I believe there are easily at least a dozen that deserve enshrinement that most serious historians could come to near consensus on.

As for the list of "modern" (post-1947) players being considered, I think Minnie Minoso is the most deserving -- had he been white and not had to wait for the color line to be dissolved, he would've easily been up near the all-time top in hits and probably runs. As it is, he has good enough HOF qualifications even though he had to wait until he was nearly 30 to play MLB.

I'd also give a nod to Santo, Torre (combined for his play and managing success) and Blyleven -- though that trio are all third-tier (the bottom third) HOFers.