View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default Who do you think deserves to be in the HOF!!

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

If you look at the HOF inductees like alcohol then Babe Ruth would be 100 proof (I know the scale goes to 200 proof but 100 sounds like a nice round number) then players like the recently elected Sutter (good but not great) would be like a high alcohol content beer.

It amazes me that the HOF (writers, buddies, etc) continue to water down the enshrinement list by inducting star players that may have been good but in comparison to Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Wagner, Matty, W. Johnson, etc.

I can hear the arguements already... different eras and different circumstances. Well, the fact remains that a lot of players really don't deserve to be in the hall.

I guess an arguement can be made for Santo. He was good defensively and he did put up some good (not great) HR numbers but when you compare him to other players already enshrined, there's a little tarnish and shine there. Again, Santo was a star in his day and if you consider the already watered down list of HOF enshrinees then I suppose Santo belongs because he was probably (arguably) one of the best third basemen in his era.

Ok, someone beat me up now...