View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default 1933 Goudey Lajoie #106

Posted By: Anonymous

relatively new to vintage cards, i gave up on the monster because in the past 6 or so months, prices seem to have gotten ridiculous. as a kid in the 70's, i always liked the look of 52 bowmans. when i realized a few months ago that i could buy 3 or 4 or 5 1952 bowmans in excellent condition for the same price as a not-so-excellent t206, i went with the bowmans for quality AND quantity.

the idea of assembling a complete set, i think, motivates a lot of people in one direction or another (hence my reluctance to carry on with the monster and proceed with the bowmans). i think price has to weigh heavily on many collectors- that being said, yes, t206 will always be popular for the above stated reasons, but as prices continue to climb on certain sets, others with less interest will invariably gain interest, if for no other reason than being a cheap alternative. as that happens, prices for those sets (52 bowmans?) will begin to rise while others (t205s?) doesn't necessarily decline, but perhaps remain flat for a while.

this whole thing seems very cyclical- pujols goes up or down based largely on his popularity and ability to smash home runs today. ty cobb and mickey mantle are dead and therefore not doing anything to help or hurt their popularity one way or another. collecting is suceptable to the same economic principles as, say the real estate market. manhattan got too expensive so people moved to brooklyn. then brooklyn got hip and prices went up- not that they declined in manhattan- another entity gained popularity- simple.