Thread: SGC Collectors.
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Default SGC Collectors.

Posted By: T206Collector

Bobby,

I thought you should know that I really enjoy your product. It nicely and neatly packages former ebay listings (and, to a much lesser extent, other auction houses) to provide perhaps the most accurate and up-to-date price guide ever invented for baseball cards.

Given that an abbreviated history of auction listings is available for free on ebay, however, I do not think that the price you offer for the VIP service is warranted. If I were a dealer that was buying and selling cards every day, it would be a must-have system woth $100 a year. But for the casual to moderately fiendish collector of T206 cards, the price point you have chosen is too steep for my blood, again, given the free availability of recent auction histories on ebay. Moreover, while you will no doubt gain additional eyes by providing the SGC information for free, there will be even less reason for people to pay for the service. Indeed, there is quite a step up in price from free for (a) ebay completed auction short history & SGC full history; to $100.00 a year for (b) full ebay and PSA/SGC/GAI/BVG history.

My recommendation would be to consider it a magazine subscription -- plenty of people have paid, would pay and do pay $1.00 to $5.00 a month for a monthly price guide in magazine format. Your information is clearly superior to the information offered in, say, a Beckett Baseball Card Monthly. But, again, I believe you are pricing yourself out of the market. Especially considering this is a new service.

I know these issues have been bandied about before, but now that you have made a large segment of the machinery available to us SGC users, I thought it deserved a fresh round of discussion.

Paul