View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Default Mile High Card Company's Stance on Hobby Issues

Posted By: leon for SteveVerkman

**Steve had posted this from a different computer (IP address) and didn't have an email address on his post so I was very cautious and saved and deleted it. I have not changed one word of this post and have absolutely no knowlege personally of the situation. I was ONLY being careful and I hope everyone can appreciate that. (leon) Steve's response verbatim:

"I have to say I was very curious to see if Drent would come on the board. I can tell you that several years ago he bought a 1952 Topps #80 Wehmeier card from me in Near Mint condition for around $80. He sent the card into PSA and amazingly it came back an 8 as it was no better than a 7 when I sold the card to him (I was grading 1952 Topps cards that had shots at 8s at that time). I only know this because Drent went around bragging to people that this card sold for $12,000 or some crazy price because apparently the card is rare as an 8 and that I am (was) a fool. What he did not tell people is he trimmed, pressed or otherwise altered the card and then got it graded. Some could say I have sour grapes, but I am not a trimmer, and people can interpret this FIRST HAND information however they wish.

Also, at the recent Boston show, Drent paid a huge price for a collection of mostly mid-grade Mantle cards. All of the key dealers at the show looked carefully at this collection and everyone was in the $13K - 14K range and at that point there was not even much money to make. Drent paid $18K for this, which shocked everyone, as the 52 Topps was a 2 at best and the 51 Bowman was only VG and Brent does not sell low and middle grade Mantle regular issue Topps and Bowman cards. Speculation, including my own, centered around a nearly perfectly centered and sharp 57 Topps Mantle with a mild rough cut. It will be interesting to see if this card ends up in an 8 or 9 holder sans rough cut.

I just want the board members to understand that I am not one to get into gossiping and trash talking about my competitors. Please understand that these are both DIRECT EXPERIENCES I have had that make me very skeptical at a minimum as to any conclusion OTHER than that he trims and/or alters his cards, and at that far more than pressing out any surface wrinkles.

Steve"