View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting email from REA

Posted By: barrysloate

I've been away for a few days and while Leon apprised me of this email this is the first chance I have had to read this thread. What I find most troubling here is how these cards are getting holdered in the first place. About ten years ago the hobby was in the dumps because too many cards were being altered and too many collectors were finding their prized possessions were not what they were supposed to be. It does not surprise me that the practice of card altering occurs because there is simply too much money to be made selling baseball cards. In order to restore the integrity of the hobby and bring back serious collectors, the birth of the grading and authenticating service came about and it brought new collectors back in droves. Now Rob Lifson states that many of the cards consigned to him in holders have been tampered with, and I certainly don't doubt his assertions. But why on earth have these cards been put in holders in the first place? If Rob is able to detect it, why aren't the grading companies seeing the same thing? The big boys in the grading industry should be setting a standard above and beyond what any of us are capable of finding. If they can't cull out the doctored cards, then the hobby may be heading back to the dark ages and many of the big spenders may once again leave and not come back. This is certainly a very troubling trend.