View Single Post
Old 11-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default OT-Sandy ? Cuban, Mexican, or Italian ?

Posted By: davidcycleback

I'm not sure why his dad's name can't be Nava, and can't be of Latin American descent.

If reports are that someone or his parents came from Latin America, that his mother was supposedly Latin American, he has a Spanish last name and he has black hair and dark skin-- 99 out of 100 times means he has Latin American heritage. A Spanish last name, black hair and dark skin alone would be about proof. If a Mexican or other Latin American has black hair and light skin, that typically indicates they are of Spanish (from Spain) descent. Latin America has many indiginous people (majority) who typically have dark skin along with black hair. Many Latin Americans have both Spanish and indiginous heritage.

To me, if you establish that his last name is Spanish (which may have already been established above), it's safe to say he had Latin American heritage. I suspect someone said Italian as Vince is a common Italian American name.

Unlike most of Latin America, Brazil was conqured by the Portuguese. Thus, Brazilians speak Portuguese instead of Spanish, and will have Portuguese last names instead of Spanish.

My boss was Mexican and liked Italy. When I asked him if he spoke Italian, he said, "I just speak Spanish and add an 'o' after every word."