Thread: New Board Rule
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Default New Board Rule

Posted By: Dave

IF Robert were not talking about me, then I apologize. I found it hard to believe his post was about anything else however. I have tried to totally respect the board and members since i've been here. I try to add (what little) knowledge I actually have regarding the hobby. I do not believe that just because someone has been here forever and I haven't that I should not be allowed to react to a post regarding me (as I look at it again and again, there is nobody recently that he could be talkign about but me). I'm sure Robert is vastly superior in his knowledge of cards and as well as experiences with cards and people trying to take advantage of a system. Look, I don't know enough about mello-mints, or 99% of any other pre-war card to purposely go out and buy the card with the intentions of selling it a day later. Now, have I ever bought a card with the intention of selling it for a profit? YES. I have even spoken to Leon about this a few weeks back (sorry to drag your name into this Leon). My situation does not allow me to just buy cards for the purposes of putting them in a quiet corner of my house and let them be. Generally, my practice has been to be T206's raw, get them graded and yes, stick them back on ebay to keep the habit up. That may sound bad, however i'm actually not sitting here trying to make bucketloads of money on cards. I am trying to keep the trend going for myself. I would love to buy cards and never have to sell them. I'm 30 years old, married with a daughter a year old. My "extra cash funds" for the most part go towards formula and diapers. I "convinced" my wife a few months ago to let me take a single hundred dollar bill, stick it in paypal and see what fun I could have with it by buying vintage cards (which I love), getting them graded, taking pictures of each of the cards graded for a scrapbook, and sticking them back on ebay to do it again. I have never been out for the purpose of trying to use the B/S/T to turn profits to the point I could quit work. The reality is that every card I buy is for sale as bad as that sounds to some on here, if they weren't well then I'd have been done with the first $100 dollars I had and would have one T206 common PSA 4 to show for it. Even though I enjoy the rarity of the McGraw mello-mint, I'm not stupid. Yes, I genuinally had questions concerning it, and thought what better place to ask those questions then the board. In hindsight, I should have emailed Leon directly and asked him for his more educated views. But, what happened, happened, and when I get emails right away asking me to sell it for more than I bought it, if your honestly telling me in the same situation that you wouldn't then your a better human than I am I guess. I'm not going to apologize for this, I don't feel i'm in the wrong, I also don't feel i'm in the wrong for sticking up for myself. However in the best interest of all involved, I'll refrain from ever posting a picture or asking a question on the main board about a card that I own, if I have questions like that I have a couple people on here that i'll email directly in private to avoid further soap operas.