View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default 50 yrs ago I played Hooky & saw a Perfect Game

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

From 1901 to Oct 1956, there was approx. 70,000 Major League games played.
During this period, only four pitchers had achieved Perfect Games during regular
season play; and, they were all American League pitchers......

1901 CYoung (Boston)

1908 Addie Joss (Cleveland)

1917 Ernie Shore (Boston)

1922 Charlie Robertson (Chicago)

Now, you really cannot analyze this phenomena in a linear manner, in order to attempt
to predict a future perfect game occurence. As 3 of these perfect games were pitched
in the "dead ball" era.
Sure, I may seem as an un-objective Yankee fan, but the more I study this tremendous
feat, the more I appreciate what Don Larsen achieved that autumn day in 1956. After all
5 of the 9 batters that Larsen faced that day are real HOFers. And, Sal Maglie, who was
his opposing pitcher that day, was very effective.

The following regular season "Perfect Game" was pitched by Harvey Haddix (Pirates)
in 1959 where he threw 12 unbelievable perfect innings (only to lose it in the 13th).
Followed by Bunning (Phillies) in 1964 and Koufax (Dodgers) in 1965. Then Hunter (A's)
in 1968. And, another 5, or so, Perfect Games have been pitched since then.

If you dare try to average out these 12 Perfect Games (regular season play) over a
period of 100 years, the math will tell you they can occur once per 12,500 games.
I do not ascribe to this type of thinking, but for those that do......that's simply how
it boils down.

T-Rex TED